By Kelly Pleau
Dubai... accented by bougainvillea and late night Kellage Halloum in taxi cabs, it is a culturally diverse, economically fast-paced and sand-framed metropolis. Here is a series of sketches I made during my time there, from December 2009 to January 2010, as well as a recipe for Chai Lime Punch.
Recipe for Chai Lime Punch
Inspired by 'Zen Chai Punch' at the Limetree Cafe in Jumeirah and provided as compliment to 'expat café' (based on observations made at the Limetree)
- 2 1/2 cups spiced black tea (chai)
- 3-5 whole cloves
- 2-3 whole bulbs cardamom
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in to smaller pieces
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup sparkling/tonic water
- 1 tbsp agave nectar (optional)
- 1 lime, sliced (optional)
- 1 orange, sliced (optional)
1. Steep tea with cloves, cardamom and cinnamon, and let cool.
2. Strain tea through a sieve to remove leftover spices.
3. In a pitcher, combine lime juice, orange juice and sparkling water.
4. Add cooled tea to pitcher and stir.
5. To sweeten, add agave nectar and stir.
6. Garnish with slices of lime and orange.
*Can be served with ice.